Military & Overseas Voting

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Can I vote absentee?
You can vote absentee in local, state and Federal elections if you are a U.S. citizen 18 years or older and are an active duty member of the Armed Forces, Merchant Marine, Public Health Service, NOAA, a family member of the above, or a U.S. citizen residing outside the United States.

Where is my "legal voting residence"?
For voting purposes, "legal voting residence" can be the state or territory where you last resided prior to entering military service OR the state or territory that you have since claimed as your legal residence.

Even though you may no longer maintain formal ties to that residence, the address determines your proper voting jurisdiction. To claim a new legal residence, you must have simultaneous physical presence and the intent to return to that location as your primary residence.

Military and their family members may change their legal residence every time they change permanent duty stations, or they may retain their legal residence without change. This may mean that the family's Uniformed Service member has a different legal voting residence than his/her family members. A Judge Advocate General officer or legal counsel should be consulted before legal residence is changed because there are usually other factors that should be considered besides voting.

My family members are not in the military; can they also vote absentee?
Yes. Eligible spouses and children (U.S. citizens, 18 years or older) of military personnel may vote absentee. Some states allow children of military personnel residing overseas who are U.S. citizens but who have never resided in the U.S. to claim one of their U.S. citizen parent's legal state of residence as their own

How do I register to vote or request an absentee ballot?
You may register and request an absentee ballot with a single form: The Federal Post Card Application. This application form is accepted by all states and territories and is postage- paid in the U.S. mail, including the Military Postal System and State Department Pouch mail. Hard copies of the form can be obtained from your installation's Voting Assistance Officer or by clicking on the Federal Postcard Application link below.

When is the best time to apply for an absentee ballot?
We recommend that you register to vote/request an absentee ballot in January of each year, or at least 45 days before Election Day.

Where do I send my Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request?
Your Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot request form must be completed, printed, signed, dated and mailed directly to the Yuma County Recorder's Office. We will handle the processing and distribution of your absentee ballots and may need to contact you for further information or clarification. To facilitate this process, please provide a current email address, phone and fax number on your application. 

If you have further questions about Military/Overseas voting please contact the Yuma County Recorder at (928) 373-6034 or go the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.

Click on the below link for a PDF copy of the Federal Postcard Application.

Federal Postcard Application

Mail applications to:

YUMA, AZ 85364

or fax to (928) 373-6024

Online Help Center

  • Leave Us a Message
  • Submit a Service Request
  • County Directory