|Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) YUMA County|
• FSA collection of information and resources (web link)
• Your FSA worksheet [PDF]
• FSA IRS Publication 503 (web link): "Child and Dependent Care Expenses"
|A tax-free way to plan, save and pay for health and dependent care expenses
Medical Account: $180 to $2,550 election
Dependent Care Account: Up to $5,000 election
• 30 day grace period for eligible expenses from unused fund balance up to $500 dollars.
• No claims will be accepted after July 30.
• Submit any receipts for eligible purchases made before the end of the grace period.
• Any remaining funds up to $500 would be rolled over to the new year, and could be used any time during that new plan year.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs):
• Help save you taxes when paying for certain health care and dependent care expenses.
• Money is deducted and put into your FSA accounts before federal, and state taxes are calculated.
• Plan is the Fiscal year, July through June.
• During the plan year, you incur eligible expenses in health care and dependent care.
• Submit a claim for reimbursement and you are paid back out of your accounts.
• FSA accounts are never subject to taxes, so, you pay fewer taxes on your total earnings.
• If you have a change in family status, FSA accounts may be added or increased.
• All claims must be incurred after the effective date of the qualifying event.
• A new enrollment must be completed each fiscal year to continue participation.
• The Health FSA is specifically for eligible health care expenses for yourself and your eligible tax dependents.
• The Dependent Care Spending Account is specifically for dependent care expenses such as daycare for your eligible children or elderly parents, it cannot be used to reimburse you for medical, dental, or other healthcare expenses for your dependents.
Health Care Reimbursement Account
You may submit claims for reimbursement that exceed your current account balance but are not in excess of our annual elections. The funds that you are reimbursed will be recovered as deductions continue to be deposited into your account throughout the plan year. You may elect between $180 and up to $2550 per plan year.
Dependent Care Reimbursement Account
No Advanced Reimbursement
Dependent Care account is a “pay-as-you-go account” and that Yuma County will not advance the money. Funds are only available after contribution. You will only be reimbursed for up to your account balance at the time you submit your claim. If you submit a claim for reimbursement that exceeds your account balance, the claim will be reimbursed once the balance in your account meets or exceeds the amount of the claim. You may elect up to $5,000 for nanny, daycare, child/adult day care expense (13 year age limit for child).
IRS regulations do not allow money to be transferred between reimbursement accounts. You cannot transfer unused funds from Health Care Accounts to Dependent Care Accounts or vice versa.
Contributions to an FSA: Once begun, it cannot be stopped or changed during the plan year except when a qualifying status change occurs. For the program to work for you, it is necessary that you estimate as accurately as possible your health care and/or dependent care expenses for the plan year, so use the FSA Worksheet to estimate your out-of-pocket expenses.
Balance in an FSA: Flexible spending accounts are “use-it-or-lose-it” plans. This means that amounts in the account at the end of the plan year cannot be carried over to the next year, and any funds unused at the end of the plan year must be forfeited.
* Remember, You must re-enroll in the FSA program each year during Open Enrollment if you want to participate.
* IRS-qualified expenses are subject to federal regulatory change at any time during a tax year. Certain other substantiation requirements and restrictions may apply, and will be supplied to you following enrollment.
Employee Benefits Administration
Mayra Alexandre, Employee Benefits Manager
Phone: (928) 373-1165
Fax: (928) 373-1156
Additional questions may be directed to:
Yuma County Human Resources Department
Phone: (928) 373-1013
Fax: (928) 373-1156
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: 198 South Main Street, Yuma AZ 85364
Website: Telephone (928) 373-1113 with questions and comments or e-mail Debra.Hancock@yumacountyaz.gov