Planning for the Future
This section considers land use planning issues that involve or potentially impact the future growth of Yuma County and land use issues specific to property development. Pursuant to A.R.S. §11-802, 11-813 and §11-805 the ten-year 2020 Comprehensive Plan (The Plan) for Yuma County has been adopted based on significant public input obtained during the time period of period of 2008-2011. The Plan was approved by the Yuma County Board of Supervisors on February 22, 2012, and replaces the 2010 Comprehensive Plan.
The Planning Section is responsible for oversight of several major tasks. These include, but are not limited to:
- Educating the public on the features, aspects and implementation of the new Comprehensive Plan.
- Monitoring and reporting on goal and implementation achievements.
- Continuing to obtain public input and participation that identify and address future planning issues and concerns.
- Working with other agencies and municipalities to coordinate planning efforts of mutual interest.
- Enacting programs identified by the six geographic regions of the Plan to stabilize and enhance the quality of life for communities within the County.
- Ensuring that growth, use of land and environmental issues are considered in a manner that promotes the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Yuma County.
Documents maintained by the Planning Section include:
- Provides guidelines for future land use development in order to ensure that any new development promotes the health, safety, convenience and general welfare of the public.
- Any rezoning must conform to the Comprehensive Plan.
- Sets minimum standards for land use and development.
- Establishes how any parcel in Yuma County may be used and/or developed.
- Determine the rules by which land can be subdivided.
- Ensures adequate traffic circulation, drainage, flow control, water supply and waste disposal for any new subdivision.
Activities of the Planning Section include:
- Prepare reports as needed by the Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment and the Yuma County Board of Supervisors, ensuring that required state mandated processes for public notice and hearings are met. Provide support related to Comprehensive Plan Amendments, Rezoning Actions, Special Use Permits, Variance Requests, Subdivision Plats and Temporary Use Permits.
- Review building permit applications to ensure they meet all requirements set forth in county ordinances and state statutes.
- Assign addresses to homes and businesses.
- Assist customers with issues related to property development.
- Work with the public to identify and address future planning issues and concerns.
- Monitor and report how well the goals of the Comprehensive Plan are being achieved.
- Work to enact programs identified in the Comprehensive Plan by residents of Yuma County to improve the quality of life for Yuma County residents.
For information or additional information related to Planning Section issues, please call Maggie Castro (928) 817-5000, or e-mail questions and concerns to Area Plans.