YUMA COUNTY HOUSING DEPARTMENT
ACCEPTS MVP AWARD FROM HUD
Left to Right: Stephanie Smelnick, HUD Field Office Director, Gloria Mallek Yuma County Housing Dept. Director; Martha Garcia, Housing Deputy Director; Maria delos Reyes, Program Coordinator; Barbara Gallegos, HUD Filed Office Program Coordinator, Marta Duron, PHRS/VASH Coordinator.
On 12/18/2014, Yuma County Housing Department (YCHD) was among the eleven (11) HUD AZ partners awarded with the MVP (Most Valuable Partner) Award in recognition of their exemplary practices under the five (5) HUD strategic goals. This is the second MVP award received by YCHD. The first MVP Award was received in October 2012. .
YCHD received the MVP Awards in the category of “Strengthening the Nation’s Housing Market to Bolster the Economy and Protect Consumers”. According to Ms. Stephanie Smelnick, Phoenix Field Office Director, HUD’s mission and strategic goals under this category are: (1) Stemming the foreclosure crisis; (2) Protecting and educating consumers when they buy, refinance, or rent a home; (3) Creating financially sustainable home ownership opportunities; and (4) Establishing an accountable housing finance system. YCHD has met these goals through its Family Self Sufficiency Program (FSS) for both its Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing programs.
The Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program was created and funded by HUD to assist low income families achieve economic self-sufficiency. Eligible families would be of those who are already in the Low Rent Public Housing (PH), Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) programs, or the existing waiting list. The FSS program is designed to assure that participants can improve their knowledge, skills and employability, through the combined efforts of local government, public and private agencies, committed to support very low income families to become self-sufficient.
Since 2005, YCHD can account about 40+ participants who graduated from the program. Many of whom went on to become homeowners and acquired employment. The FSS funding of about $113,000 received by Yuma County Housing Department (YCHD) from HUD in FFY2012-2013 created a life-changing experience to more than 128 persons served by these two programs (PH and HCV). About 86 people are going to college, employed or both. YCHD and its collaborative partnership with local entities are continuously committed to reinforce and to renovate a person’s life to economic independency and self-sufficiency.
Mrs. Gloria Mallek, Yuma County Housing Department Director states that “The program gives the participants a pathway to responsibility while slowly taking their benefits away and permanently take them to a place where they no longer need public assistance. It is economically beneficial to both the participants and the community. We believe the fulfillment of this goal would also uphold the participant’s spirit, initiative and resilience.”
Board of Supervisors Meeting
- Date: 08/15/2016 9:00 AM
- Location: BOS Aud.
198 S. Main Street
Yuma, Arizona 85364
MEETING NOTICE AND AGENDA
Pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes §38-431, et. seq.
and amendments thereto,
A REGULAR SESSION of the
YUMA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Also sitting as all SPECIAL TAXING DISTRICTS
Will be held on
AUGUST 15, 2016 – 9:00 A.M.
198 South Main Street, Yuma, Arizona
Board members will attend either in person or by telephone.
CALL TO ORDER
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
CALL TO THE PUBLIC: Call to the Public is held for public benefit to allow individuals to address issue(s) within the Board's jurisdiction. Board members may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to Arizona Revised Statute §38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to criticism, or scheduling the matter for further discussion and decision at a future date.
PRESENTATIONS, PROCLAMATIONS & APPOINTMENTS: Note: During this segment of the agenda, board members may discuss the presentations and proclamations, and may announce appointments to the Yuma County Planning and Zoning Commission and the Yuma County Board of Adjustment. No legal actions will be taken.
1. Presentation of "The County Line" by Yuma 77, the Yuma County Government Channel. No Action
2. Chairman proclaims August 21, 2016 through August 27, 2016 as “Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Week.” No Action
CONSENT CALENDAR: The following items listed under the Consent Agenda will be considered as a group and acted upon by one motion with no separate discussion, unless a Board Member so requests. In that event, the item will be removed from the Consent Calendar for separate discussion and action.
1. Assessor: Approve Tax Roll Corrections as listed in batch dated August 15, 2016, pursuant to A.R.S. Title 42, Chapter 16, Article VI. (A full listing of all corrections is available from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.) Approved as presented
2. Financial Services: Approve the Accounts Payable Demands disbursed in the amount of $3,505,936.00 and Payroll in the amount of $1,487,581.70 during the period of June 30, 2016 through July 22, 2016. (A detailed listing is available for review in the Office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.) Approved as presented
3. Clerk of the Board: Approve the minutes for the August 1, 2016 Regular and Work Session. Approved as presented
4. County Attorney: Adopt Budget Amendment Resolution No. 17-29, transferring budget authority from Regular Salaries to Travel ($6,913) and Training ($2,415) for a total of $9,328 in the VOCA Victim Services Fund No. 02210.1300, Grant Agreement No. 2015-293. Approved as presented
5. County Attorney: Authorize and approve joining with the other Arizona Counties in filing an Amicus Brief in the Supreme Court of Arizona in support of the City of Phoenix in the case of City of Phoenix v. Glenayre Electronics, Inc., No. 1 CA-CV 14-0739. Approved as presented
6. Development Services/Engineering: Adopt Resolution No. 2016-33, granting a public service franchise to Tierra Mesa Estates Water Company, Inc. for twenty-five (25) years, until August 15, 2041. Approved as presented
7. Development Services/Building Safety Division: Re-appoint Scott Spencer as a General Contractor on the Yuma County Building Code Advisory Board for a new term to expire September 9, 2020. Approved as presented
8. Development Services/Building Safety Division: Re-appoint Troy Eckard as General Contractor on the Yuma County Fire Code Board of Appeals for a new term to expire July 17, 2020. Approved as presented
Chairman recesses the Yuma County Board of Supervisors and convenes the Yuma County Housing Board.
HOUSING GOVERNING BOARD - CONSENT CALENDAR: The following items listed under the Consent Agenda will be considered as a group and acted upon by one motion with no separate discussion, unless a Board Member so requests. In that event, the item will be removed from the Consent Calendar for separate discussion and action.
1. Housing: Adopt and authorize Chairman to sign Resolution No. 2016-32, approving the Certification of the Section 8 Management Assessment Program (SEMAP) for Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2016 as per HUD Title 24, Chapter 9 Part 985.101 of the Section 8 Management Assessment Program (SEMAP). Approved as presented
2. Housing: Adopt Fiscal Year 2016-17 Budget Amendment Resolution No. 17-32, increasing Fiscal Year 2016-17 budget authority by $79,056 in the Yuma County Housing Department’s Low Rent Public Housing Fund. Approved as presented
Chairman adjourns the Yuma County Housing Board and reconvenes the Yuma County Board of Supervisors in Regular Session.
DISCUSSION AND ACTION ITEMS: The Board will open each of the following items separately for discussion and action, as appropriate.
1. Human Resources: a) Award the bid to Segal for one year consultant and actuarial services for the Yuma County Employee Benefits Trust, effective August 15, 2016 with four (4) renewable terms per five (5) year pricing; and
b) Authorize the Director of Human Resources to sign the necessary documents for contract services. Approved as presented
2 Financial Services/All Special Taxing Districts: Establish/Adopt Property Tax Rates and Assessment of Taxes for all applicable Yuma County Direct and Overlapping General Authorities, Special Districts, and Improvement Districts for Fiscal Year 2016-2017 pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes §42-17151, as indicated on the attached schedule. Approved as presented
EVENTS CALENDAR/CURRENT EVENTS:
1. Board members and County Administrator will report and may discuss events attended or to be attended on behalf of the County, may present a brief summary of current events and may update the schedule for future Board of Supervisors meetings, as appropriate. No legal action will be taken, pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.02(K). No Action
Action to adjourn.
Note: The Board may vote to hold an Executive Session for the purpose of obtaining legal advice from the Board's attorney on any matter listed on the agenda, pursuant to Arizona Revised Statute
I hereby certify that this Meeting Notice and Agenda were posted within
the 24-hour advance notice, in compliance with the Arizona Open Meeting Law.
/s/SUSAN K. THORPE
County Administrator/Clerk of the Board